Independence Day was released to theaters on July 3, 1996, and grossed over $817 million at the box office, making it the highest-grossing film of 1996, surpassing both Twister and Mission: Impossible. At the time, it was also the second highest-grossing film of all time behind Jurassic Park. The film won the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects.
The cast of Independence Day consisted of:
- Will Smith as Captain Steven Hiller
- Bill Pullman as President Thomas J. Whitmore
- Jeff Goldblum as David Levinson
- Mary McDonnell as First Lady Marilyn Whitmore, the wife of Thomas Whitmore
- Judd Hirsch as Julius Levinson, David Levinson’s father
- Robert Loggia as General William Grey, USMC, the Commandant of the United States Marine Corps
- Randy Quaid as Russell Casse, an eccentric, alcoholic former fighter pilot and Vietnam War veteran
- Margaret Colin as Constance Spano, Whitmore’s White House Communications Director and David Levinson’s ex-wife
- Vivica A. Fox as Jasmine Dubrow, Steven Hiller’s girlfriend and mother of Dylan Dubrow.
- James Rebhorn as Albert Nimzicki, the Secretary of Defense and, as former CIA Director, is a member of a governmental faction who are aware of the aliens’ existence due to the ship recovered at Roswell
- Harvey Fierstein as Marty Gilbert, David Levinson’s coworker at Compact Cable Television Company.
- Adam Baldwin as Major Mitchell, USAF, Area 51’s commanding officer
- Brent Spiner as Dr. Brackish Okun, the unkempt and highly excitable scientist in charge of research at Area 51
- James Duval as Miguel Casse, the oldest son of Russell Casse
- Bill Smitrovich as Lt. Colonel Watson, the commanding officer of the Black Knights
- Harry Connick Jr. as Marine Captain Jimmy Wilder, fellow fighter pilot and friend of Steven
- Mae Whitman as Patricia Whitmore, the daughter of President Thomas J. Whitmore and First Lady Marilyn Whitmore
- Ross Bagley as Dylan Dubrow, Jasmine Dubrow’s son and Steven Hiller’s stepson.
- Lisa Jakub as Alicia Casse, the daughter of Russell Casse.
- Giuseppe Andrews as Troy Casse, the son of Russell Casse.
Enjoy this look back at the cast of Independence Day then in 1996 and now in 2022!